top of page


Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to admit my friend or loved one to a long-term care community?

In order to have someone admitted to Sharon Lane Health and Rehabilitation, the following information will need to be provided by a medical professional:

  1. Orders for treatment signed by the doctor authorizing admission to Sharon Lane Health and Rehabilitation

  2. Orders or list of all medications currently prescribed

  3. A physical and medical history from the doctor that is currently providing care

  4. Copies of any advanced directives - Durable Power of Attorney, Living Will, Do Not Resuscitate order

  5. Identification of any dietary restrictions

  6. If staying at Sharon Lane more than thirty (30) days, A CARE Assessment must be done by one of the 11 Kansas Area Agencies on Aging

What is the purpose of long-term care communities?

The purpose of long-term care communities is to provide health care and related services to individuals requiring 24 hours per day, seven days per week care. Residents receiving services in a long-term care community require ongoing observation, treatment and care for either short or long-term stays due to illness, disease or injury.

What services are provided in a long-term care community?

Long-Term Care Communities in the Medicaid program are required to provide the following services:

  • Licensed nursing supervision 24 hours per day, 7 days per week

  • Specialized care tailored to individual needs 

  • Routine medical equipment and supplies

  • Physical, speech, occupational, and respiratory therapies

  • Transportation

  • Pharmacy services

  • Ancillary services, such as podiatry, dental, opthamalogical, and psychiatric 

  • Assistance with daily living skills

Some long-term care communities also elect to provide respite and adult day care.

What personal items should we bring for our friend or loved one when admitted?

  • Four to five changes of clothing that has been labeled with the individual's name

  • Personal items, such as grooming materials and toiletries

  • Any durable medical equipment, i.e., a walker, a wheelchair or an oxygen concentrator

  • Personal linens and blankets, if desired

  • Pictures and other personal effects to allow them to have their room feel like home

How do individuals qualify for Medicaid to pay for nursing home care?

Medicaid financial eligibility is determined by the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services (SRS) field staff. The criteria for financial eligibility are listed on the SRS website at .

Medicaid functional eligibility is determined by KDOA staff based on the CARE Assessment.

Who reimburses Kansas long-term care communities for Medicaid residents?

The adult home payment program is a division in the KDOA Program and Policy Commission. The division is responsible for enrolling providers and determining reimbursement rates for the adult homes participating in the Medicaid program. KDOA reimburses approximately 346 Nursing facilities using a cost-based, facility specific, prospective payment system. The payment allowance for direct healthcare costs is adjusted quarterly based on the acuity of the Medicaid residents.

KDOA is responsible for monetary penalties, denial of payment for new Medicare and/or Medicaid admissions, and terminations of adult homes not in substantial compliance with federal participation requirements. Remedies imposed are from recommendations of the LCE surveyors based on the results of the survey process. Penalties for skilled nursing facilities not in compliance with Medicare participation requirements are imposed by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).

Have more questions?
We're happy to answer them.

bottom of page